There are so many great opportunities online for people to upgrade their education today that it is a shame not to undertake at least a few educational pursuits, whether academic or special interest in nature. As with everything though, there are keys to gaining the most from your efforts and online education is no different. The following are five tips I've found important to choosing educational opportunities online, what to watch for and how to study once you've located a course or field of interest you'd like to undertake.
1. Not all online educational sites are created equal. There are those sites that claim to offer you Diploma's or Degrees as well as educational credits but unless they are an accredited educational facility, they are not able to offer any of these things to you. In order to attain educational credits, Diploma's or Degree's the online school, just like a brick and mortar one, must be an accredited entity and recognized as an educational facility. A Graduate who studies with an online facility will be able to obtain documented transcripts and their educational efforts will be recognized by employers and other schools. If you are interested in pursuing academic credits or Degrees always ensure that you research the educational site's credentials thoroughly before proceeding with them. In the US you may also wish to investigate whether the credentials that you obtain from an accredited online learning facility will be recognized in other States as some educational facilities are only recognized within the State in which they reside.
2. Always keep in mind that there is no such thing as "Free" Diplomas or Degrees! Stay away from any site that claims to be able to offer these to you. You will only be wasting your money and your time while making the site owners just a little bit richer.
3. To determine whether or not learning online is something that you will be able to enjoy and do comfortably, it is always a good idea to take a free course or two in areas that interest you. If you enjoy the experience and find that you are able to easily learn, absorb and utilize the information you have gained from the learning experience then online learning just may be the way for you to go. If you have found this experience to be something that you have had to push yourself to do or you can't easily find the time or be consistent in the studies, then maybe online studies aren't something that you would enjoy or benefit from compared to attending a brick and mortar facility. When deciding on an area of study, especially if you are uncertain that it is something you are interested in enough to study for several months or a year, try to locate a "free" course in a similar subject. Many schools including MIT and Yale offer online courses that are free of charge and they offer a good grounding in certain courses that will allow you the opportunity to test drive whether or not the subject is for you.
4. Once you have determined the route you are willing to take and you are ensured that the learning experience will promote your level of learning to another plateau, or perhaps assist you in gaining further career opportunities, it's time to ensure your study efforts will succeed. While studying online you still require an area in which to study without noise or distraction. Set up an area of a room that you will be comfortable in and that will allow you to study undisturbed. Set a schedule for studies if your online education instruction doesn't offer this and gear your schedule to those times when you know you will be able to give your undivided attention to your efforts. If the educational site offers tutors, lectures or question and answer sessions, by all means take in all of these if possible because there is always so much more that you can gleen from others. If the courses you are pursuing include video classes, ensure that your computer & your Internet connection are capable of delivering them to you. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to watch a video that jerks, stops and sputters! Taking the time to ensure that you are able to take advantage of any video or online conference learning is important and you should ensure that you have the ability to do so easily and without trouble.
5. Most importantly, if you are willing to invest your time into obtaining additional educational pursuits on line it is well worth the effort to do your best to ensure you succeed. Achieving additional education is something that everyone can always benefit from and whether it is related to special interest courses such as how to design wire jewelry or it is an educational pursuit that will allow you to set yourself up in a new career or private professional practice - the effort and the feeling of achievement that comes with your success is well worth the time you've spent investigating a qualified teaching facility online.The Diploma's and Degree's that you obtain through your studies will be increasingly more important to you because you initiated the steps that have allowed you to achieve your educational goals and that is definitely something to be proud of!
The Internet is a vast pool of educational opportunities just waiting to be picked and utilized, but like wild things, some opportunities are better left untouched. Taking the time to learn how to choose the best opportunities for you will encourage you and those around you to become learners for life!
(This article is 953 words - thank you for reading!)