I hate cleaning! So, to make things easier for me I like to avoid going out to the grocery or department stores and loading up on $50 or $100 worth of cleaning solutions in order to get my floors, mirrors, windows, bathrooms and numerous other areas of my home clean. Instead, I prefer to do things my grandmother's way!
I come from a family (my grandmother in particular) where a lot of the natural solutions for cleaning around the home were used and one of my favorites happens to clean stainless steel sinks fabulously! The Fly Lady would be pleased but I suspect she'd already know about this one!
Here's my solution (aka my grandmother's magic) to the lazy way to clean my stainless steel kitchen sink and you only need two products Baking Soda (not baking powder) and White vinegar:
1. Ensure the sink is free of any dishes or residue of any sort such as poured coffee, the morning's cereal from little Johnny's bowl as he contributed to the morning cleanup, etc. Give the sink(s) a quick rinse.
2. Sprinkle baking soda (I use Arm and Hammer) generously around the sink ensuring that you get some in and around the drain.
3. Follow this by pouring about 1/4 to 1/2 cup (depending on how stained the sink is) of white vinegar over the baking soda. You'll immediately see the chemical reaction as the vinegar begins to react with the soda by causing a bubbling effect.
4. Leave the soda and vinegar sit for about 5-10 minutes (again dependent on stains). Then using a sponge or a scrubber that doesn't scratch, simply gently scrub the entire sink paying particular attention to the drain area as this is where a lot of stains end up accumulating. Once scrubbed, rinse repeatedly with hot water and allow the soda and vinegar to run down the drain (this keeps drains clearer and free from odors).
5. After rinsing your stainless steel sink should be sparkling! As an added bonus if you've used a kitchen cloth or sponge? They will also be cleaner and smell fresh!
The cost to clean your stainless steel sinks this way? Well under $1.00 per cleaning without chemicals or the need for gloves!