I grew up taking Oregano at times I have coughed. My parents are not used to buying processed medicines and instead they cure us with medicinal plants and "hilot" (massage). Now that I am a mother to two kids I appreciate how my parents introduced me the power of medicinal plants.
Cough is one very common disease and actually it is communicable too. It can be transferred easily from one person to another. Both my kids are schooling and with that they are prone to what we called "communicable diseases." As a mother of course I am afraid of that fact but I cannot detain my kids at home because of my fear. On the other hand I want my kids to learn how to protect themselves at home, in school or wherever they maybe against any harm.
Below is a step by step guide on how to extract the juice or liquid from the Oregano leaves:
* Get a handful of Oregano leaves that can give at least a tablespoon of its juice or extract.
* Wash the leaves under running water to free it from soil and other dirt.
* Soak it in a cup with hot water or put the leaves on the cover of the rice cooker if you are cooking for 10-15 minutes. The heat will make the leaves fragile and in that way we can extract the juice easily.
* Remove the hot water in the cup and from there extract the juice by squeezing or crushing the leaves with the fingers.
* Put the extracted juice in a clean cloth and give it a last squeeze. In that way the remaining dirt and tiny pieces of the leaves will remain in the cloth and we will only have the juice alone.
* Put the juice in a tablespoon but be ready also with a ½ teaspoon of sugar. The sweet taste will complement the not so good taste of the Oregano juice.
I give this to my kids 3 times a day in case of cough. I believe in the power of medicinal plants that is why I have them in my garden.