Pizza is a popular food in many parts of the world.
Pizza is more than 450 years-old, created shortly after tomatoes were introduced in Europe. Earlier forms of pizza, without tomatoes, existed in Persia during the 6th century BC. These were flatbread cooked with cheese and dates by soldiers in the field.
Popularity of pizza increased dramatically in 1889 after the Italian King and Queen (Margherita) tasted a special recipe, prepared by Raffaele Esposito, while vacationing in Naples.
The first pizzeria in the United States, Lombardi's on Spring Street in New York City, opened in 1905.
Different regions may have different pizza preferences. New York Pizza has a thin high-gluten crust. Chicago-Style Pizza was invented at Pizzeria Uno in the 1940s - its crust acts as a 'deep dish' for the cheese and chunky tomato sauce. California-Style Pizza combines a thin crust with the fresh and healthy ingredients used in California Cuisine.
Curry Chicken Pizza is popular in Singapore. Tom Yum Pizza is available in Malaysia and Thailand. Mexican Pizza has the 'Pizza' moniker but is not really pizza.
Reasons to Eat at a Pizza Establishment:
1. There are many pizza establishments - some cities have more pizza parlors than Chinese restaurants.
2. There are a large variety of pizza establishments: Chain or independent. Fancy or affordable.
3. Groups of people eating together can share different pizzas and have more variety.
4. Since you typically share pizza, those with small appetites can eat less and hungry people can eat more.
5. Pizza appeals to a broad range of ages.
6. A wide variety of ingredients are available on your pizza (anchovies, artichokes, pesto, pineapple, pine nuts, nettles, prawns, duck, feta, etc.). Yet, pizzas can be made to meet the needs of most finicky eaters.
7. People with special dietary needs (e.g., Gluten-Free) and Vegetarians can eat certain types of pizza.
8. Pizza parlors often cater to group events - work outings, meet-ups, and after sports competitions.
9. Pizzas are typically prepared and served more quickly than a multi-course restaurant meal. Pizza parlors which serve a lunch buffet are particularly speedy.
10. It is easy to take leftover pizza home. It is easy to reheat in a microwave.
Finally, Pizza is often easy to identify on the menu even if you don't speak the local language.