loading, one second please...

Feel Safe For A Low Price

Reviewing: Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarm Kn Cob Lcb A  |  Rating:
eggy By eggy on
Badge: Advisor | Level: 17 | Other Home & Garden Expertise:
Image for Feel Safe For a Low Price

Most people don't think about carbon monoxide alarms until they hear about some tragedy. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas caused by the incomplete combustion of carbon based fuels. It seems like there is a much larger variety of carbon monoxide detectors than there were a few years ago. It also seems like they have come down in price.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning victims may not be aware of their condition, as the early symptoms may be mistaken for the flu. Carbon monoxide can be particularly dangerous if it seeps into an enclosed space where people are sleeping.

This carbon monoxide alarm is simple to install and simple to use - it is plug and play. You plug it into a standard AC power outlet. There is a tamper-switch which activates the alarm if it comes loose from the outlet.

The alarm sounds a loud 85 decibel alert if it detects deadly carbon monoxide gas. Unlike some of the more expensive units, this one does not display the level (in parts per million) of carbon monoxide being detected.

This alarm has an expected life span of about 7 years and only cost $25. It has back-up power provided by an inexpensive, easy to find 9 volt battery. The alarm chirps if the battery is low.

Battery back-up is an important feature since many carbon monoxide accidents are caused by operating kerosene heaters or gasoline generators during power outages.

Though it may not have some features of the fancier (more expensive) alarms, this one is fine for me.

This unit is UL listed and has a 5 year limited warranty.