*** To get started with the game, copy and paste this link into your address bar: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c14f3528ea2a ***
What is it?
League of Legends is a solid, in-depth strategy game. It is based on the extremely popular Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne custom map Defense of the Ancients. League of Legends is free to play. First off, a comparison between LoL and DotA:
League of Legends:
- Fairly low learning curve - Easy to set up - Bi-weekly updates with new content - Matchmaking - Reconnecting to dropped games
- Extremely steep learning curve - More depth, but requires a lot of practice - Hard to get started. It is rare for hosts to allow new playres to download the map - Balance updates every month or so
As such, DotA veterans will have zero problems adapting to the game. For everyone else, the creators of LoL have tried to make the game as user friendly as possible.
League of Legends is a multiplayer strategy game in which teams of 5 or 3 are put into an expansive arena. The ultimate goal of the game is to destroy your opponents nexus, which are buildings at opposite ends of the map. Turrets defend the nexus, which must be destroyed before the nexus can be attacked. Minions, or NPC controlled units, spawn periodically to aid your team.
You, as the player, are given control of a "champion". These are powerful units that can gain experience and level up. Each of these champions also have unique abilities that can be levelled up as the champion progresses. You can also accumulate gold to purchase items for your champion. Since each match is session-based, your champion's levels and gold will be reset at the start of each match.
However, League of Legends also features a persistent gameplay element. You, as the player, are known as a "summoner". You will gain experience and levels at the end of each match played. As a summoner, you are given access to powerful summoner spells, which can be used in a match to aid your champion. For example, the teleport spell allows you to teleport your champion to any allied unit on the map.
For each summoner level you have, you will also receive a "runebook slot" and a "mastery point". "Runes" are put into your runebook. At the start of a match, you can choose a runebook to use. Depending on the runes you have in that book, your champion will receive special bonuses in the match. For example, having a "Greater Mark of Furor" will increase your champions critical strike damage by 2.23%. Mastery points are similar to talent points used in World of Warcraft. You spend these points in a "mastery tree". Depending on what you spend the points on, your champion will receive special bonuses ingame (similar to runes). For example, spending 1 point in "Havoc" will increase all damage dealt by your champion by 5%.
Runes and playable champions are purchased with "Influence Points". These points are awarded at the end of each game played, whether or not you win. Champions come in prices of 450, 1350, 3150, and 6300 IP each. Runes range anywhere from 15 IP to 2000 IP for one.
League of Legends does a superb job of blending RPG elements into an RTS game, giving it a very unique, but satisfying feel.
Now that we've gone over what the game is, here is why you should play it:
- It is ABSOLUTELY FREE.
- It only takes up 1GB of your harddrive
- Extremely in-depth, yet simple to play. You can play the game without knowing how to ward, jungle at level 1, "juke" in the fog, or tower dive. These are strategies that you can employ once you are more experienced in the game, but are not necessary for successful matches.
- Huge replayability and customization: With the addition of new content every 2 weeks and limitless strategies/builds for each of the over 50 champions in the game, the game will never bore. In fact, every match played will be different, since you will be playing against live players.
- Matchmaking: automated matchmaking service designed to place you into games with players of similar skill
- Stat Tracking: Tracks the stats of your last 10 games, your total wins/loss, and global stats for your top 3 played champions.
- Casual, yet competitive: Currently, practice and matchmade games are available to players. Pratice games features a less competitive environment for newer (or casual) players to try out new builds, or to just have fun without worrying out their stats being recorded for public viewing. Season 1 for League of Legends, which is a true competitve ladder for premade teams of 3 or 5, will be starting sometime in the next few months.
- Responsive Staff and active forums
- Fairly Decent 3D Graphics: Family friendly game :)
Overall, I would rate this game a 4.5/5. It is a great game, and is completely free to play. If you are unsure as you whether or not LoL would be for you, I would recommend for you to just try it. It won't take long to download or to setup. Just follow this link:
You'll be all set to go.
If you want to find some good quality guides to improve your gameplay, visit:
or go to
- www.leagueoflegends.com, then -> Forums -> Guides & Tutorials
Thank you for taking the time to read this review. I hope that you will give LoL the chance it deserves! Goodluck, and happy gaming :).