I have previously reviewed the New Balance 608s, but was unable to find them in the stores last month. So I bought the 610s. Although they are not awful, I should have held out and ordered the 608s on line.
My feet are narrow, and the biggest difference between these and the 608s is that these are considerably wider across the ball of the foot even though they claim to be the same width. So... my feet are slopping around inside these shoes. I find that I just don’t want to wear these much, and keep wearing my old 608s even though they are now really separated at the side of the toe.
Most of the things that I said about the New Balance 608s apply to this model as well
Things I like about the New Balance 610s:
- they offer a great deal of support, something that my feet absolutely require
- they have a more rounded toe box instead of that awful pointed shape.
- they have a good padded collar at the top of the heel
- the insole is removable so I can insert my custom orthotics
- the tongue has a slot that the laces go through to keep it from sliding sideways
- they have gone to a shoelace that has a fine seam on each side so that it doesn’t come untied as easily as the round laces
Things I don’t like about New Balance 610s:
- they are wider than what I expected compared to the same width in the 608.
- you will think I’m a total goof, but there is a small blue N embroidered just in front of the lacing placket on the toe. I keep looking down and thinking that there is some insect sitting on my shoe.
If you have wide feet you won’t consider the difference in the two models very much of an issue at all. If you have narrow feet, beware! In one picture I’ve put my old 608s (on my foot) beside the 610 that is supposed to be the same size. You can see how much wider the ball of the shoe is.
My review of the 608s