loading, one second please...

Red Heart Shimmer Yarn A Little Glitter

Reviewing: Red Heart Shimmer Yarn  |  Rating:
Joan Young By Joan Young on
Badge: Editor | Level: 34 | Hobbies & Crafts Expertise:
Red Heart Shimmer yarn skein

Red Heart Shimmer is a fuzzy, sport-weight yarn with a fine metallic thread that provides a modest amount of sparkle.

This is a sport-weight, 97% acrylic yarn, with the remaining 3% a metallic polyester thread. It actually separates into 6 fine plies, one of which is the thin, shiny ply. Skeins are 3.5 ounces with 280 yards. It’s machine washable in cold water, tumble dry on low, and do not bleach or iron. It can be dry cleaned.

The feel is very soft- the metallic thread does not make it scratchy. I think it’s more fuzzy than some other yarns, there are fine “hairs” you can see coming off the surface of the strand. It seems so slight as to be negligible, but I think it makes the surface texture of a knitted piece slightly more “out of focus, ” if that makes sense. There are dye lots, so be sure to buy all that you need for a project with the same number.

I have now purchased both the Lime Green (color 1625) and Hot Pink (color 1715). Both are a darker shade than what I would expect from those names. They are nice colors, just be sure to check what they look like if you plan to order it. Red Heart Shimmer also comes in Snow, Black, Chocolate, Royal, and Red. You can see the official site and colors at Red Heart.

I bought this for two projects. First is for one of the yarns in a poncho I’m making for a young girl. I’m using it as alternating rows of a crocheted puff stitch. In one of the photos you’ll see it in every other puff stitch row. (The variegated rows are different yarns, Red Heart Sweet Baby and Bernat Softee.) The other is a crocheted shawl. I’ll add pictures when I get a section of that done.

I haven’t been able to get the color of the Hot Pink skein to look right in a picture. It looks dull in the photo, but in reality it’s a deep, yet bright, fuschia. The metallic thread of the Hot Pink is also fuschia. You may be able to tell in the knitted swatch that the metallic thread in the Lime Green is gold in color.

When worked up, Shimmer does not have a look as if covered in sequins. There is just a bit of sparkle as if it were lightly sprinkled with glitter. The metallic strand is very fine, and wrinkly. The wrinkling means that there is always some surface that will catch the light when the final fabric is created.

As with most popular yarns, there are patterns on the wrappers, and these are also on the web site. Currently, there are 16 patterns offered in various levels of difficulty– mostly shrugs, scarves, headbands and sweaters.

I expected the metallic strand to be a pain in the neck. Apparently the higher number of fine strands, plied together, has overcome this typical drawback of sparkly yarns. Many glittery yarns also tend to feel stiff, and this one doesn’t at all. It works up smoothly in either knit or crochet.

The package suggests that you knit this up with size 6 (4mm) needles. My swatch was knitted on size 5 needles. Suggested crochet hook size is H. I’m making the poncho with N, which is much larger, but the texture of the poncho is overall much different from a smooth fabric.

My swatch is 25 stitches by 20 rows, knitted in stockinette stitch on size 5 needles. It measures 4.25 inches by 2.75 inches. Of course, your tension may be different, but this can give you some idea. The package says that on size 6 needles a 20-stitch by 26 row swatch will measure 4x4 inches.

I’ve been very pleased with Red Heart Shimmer as a yarn with sparkle. It’s softer than many yarns with a metallic thread, and doesn’t separate and split when working with it. The only negative is that this may have less glitter to it than some people might want.

Red Heart yarns are made by Coats & Clark Company. Made in Turkey.