The Sunshine Kids Radian Convertible Car Seat
Convertible Car Seat
Rear Facing - 30 lbs (the new version of this seat sold in stores today rear faces to 40lbs!)
Forward Facing to 48 lbs (the new version of this seat sold in stores today forward faces to 65lbs!)
• Can be tethered and braced Rear Facing
• High harness slots and weight limit keeps kids safely in a 5-point harness longer than other seats
• Both kids find this seat comfortable.
• Seat folds for travel and you can attach a shoulder strap to carry it through the airport
• Tubular steel frame makes it VERY sturdy.
• Very narrow profile, great if you're trying to squeeze 3 seats in a row.
• Super easy to install in an aircraft. It's narrow profile also allowed us to leave the armrests down too. (Having my son securely buckled saved my sanity on the 5 hour flight!)
• Can be tricky to install forward facing if you don’t have latch*, particularly if the seat belt shaft starts forward of the seat bight - where the seat back meets the seat. There are some workarounds though
• Harness straps are a bit hard to tighten when forward facing . Using small short tugs works better.
• Tubular steel frame makes it heavier than a standard car seat.
This is a great car seat and a fantastic value. It will last until your child is large enough and mature enough to go into a booster seat. DD still fit comfortably in this seat at 8 years old! It's low profile and super narrow base make it ideal for anyone looking to squeeze 3 car seats across the backseat.
I can't speak to ease of cleaning, I haven't had to remove the cover yet, though it doesn't look that difficult. As with all car seats, never immerse the harness straps in water. To clean simple wipe with a damp cloth.
* Latch or lower anchor tethers are used instead of the vehicle seatbelt to install a car seat. They are in the seat bight and are usually marked by small round discs bearing the image of a child in a safety seat. For more information on installing a seat using latch, consult your vehicle and car seat manuals.